Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Aki Complete

Hey,

Sorry for the wait, this chapter was really a lot of work because of the interview and such.
I'm proud to say we have completed our second series. I hope you guys all enjoyed. I'll write some thoughts below about why we picked Aki and some general thoughts on the series.

We will be picking up another series soon, so look forward to that. For now, I hope you enjoy this chapter, and new Kirinji chapter is coming soon.

Chapter Link
Volume Link


I wanted to pick up a series to do while waiting for the new Kirinji volume.
I accidentally stumbled upon Aki on mangaupdates.com when searching for the Seinen and Mahjong tags, and was surprised to see that xkime and the osamuko group have done chapter 1 of it, but dropped it immediately after that.
I found the RAWS and read them through, but volume 2 wasn't available. Since I enjoyed volume 1 a lot, I decided to pick it up.
The original plan was to finish Aki before the new Kirinji volume, but I was surprised to see that working on an Aki chapter is more than double the work of working on a Kirinji chapter. But it was worth it, it was refreshing working on a different style of manga than Kirinji.

Working on this felt special, since it's an autobiography and more realistic. The narrative, as well, was in more of a novel style than a manga style, so it was a great experience working on this.

I hope people found the mahjong articles useful, I learned something from them.

I found the story really inspirational and interesting. I kind of connect to the story since I'm in a similar situation right now, no family, no friends, no future, except that I'm in a country with 60% unemployment rate and I literally can't do anything.

It's fascinating to see how Aki's life turned around and how she managed to create a life for herself, and I hope I will be able to do the same once I leave this country for good.

Hope you guys enjoyed, thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. oh..it's over? I would have liked to see some of the stuff mentioned in the interview (reunion with missing parents, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the end of volume 2. The story will continue at vol.3.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for volume 2!

    I really enjoyed all of the articles (aside from the story in general, of course) as well. There was some good stuff (like preferring sanshoku to ittsuu) that I'd never learned (or maybe just forgot?) even after reading all of the articles at http://justanotherjapanesemahjongblog.blogspot.com, so I really found them valuable.

    The way the volume left off, it does feel like it'd make perfect sense for there to be a volume 3. However, mangaupdates also mentions the series being complete at 2 volumes. I wonder if anybody knows for sure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the series is over. The last chapter came out in 2013 in Kinma Original. I am not sure why exactly it was dropped, but I could imagine a few reasons.
      Maybe there will be a sequel in the future, if it comes out, we will work on it of course.

      Delete